A home is a reflection of the people who live there. Your client’s home – or their space you are designing – should reflect their personal style and their interests. A very good design, can make the property feel better. It should also be inviting to others who are visiting. Sounds like a lot to ask. Luckily, decorating a home doesn’t have to be labor intensive, expensive, or involve too much work as it could be as simple as buying the right piece of artwork. Artwork can help make a house a home and make it more appealing to the client’s visitors and to the client themselves every day!
- Don’t focus on price. Some pieces of art are expensive, some are not. Both can be equally beautiful. Anything can be art – a cool, unique tapestry, personal photos, even found objects – and even pieces of art purchased can be inexpensive. Try scouting out local artists, especially if they’re just getting started. The piece may be by a famous artist in a few years, and you’ll know you helped them get there!
- Make sure you have art the client loves in every room! Don’t neglect the kitchen, entryway, or bathrooms – if you can’t find the perfect piece for your client, you can get a customized piece of art. Just don’t leave blank walls! Visitors feel more comfortable in a lived-in space!
- Keep proportions in mind. This one is pretty easy – don’t put a giant painting on a tiny wall, or a tiny photo on a giant wall, all alone. Walls are like bodies. You would feel uncomfortable in clothes that are huge or too small, so dress your walls in the appropriate sizes!
- Do plan – but also be spontaneous! Making a photo wall? You probably want a layout before you start hammering. Plans are important when it comes to using artwork to decorate a home. But don’t feel like you have to stick to them! If a piece doesn’t work, or if you find something better, change it, even if it disrupts your plan! Another good idea would be to lay out the photo collage on the floor to have an idea how it will look like together. By doing so, you’ll be able to make small adjustments that will make it look perfect!
- Don’t forget about plants! Plants are great for decorating a home. But wait? Isn’t this about art? Plants can be art too! Look for beautiful pots or pretty rocks to surround your plants with.
- Make a statement. Statement pieces are great! One large painting can have a huge impact, as can bright colors (don’t be afraid of color!), and interesting subjects. Don’t crowd too many statement pieces into one space, but having a spot of visual focus is important in any room, and it gives visitors or potential home buyers something to remember and discuss.
Let your clients love what they love unapologetically. Do they love bright walls? Love it and use it. Do they love large paintings of abstract fruit? Love it, find it and use it. Even if something isn’t trendy, or if the rules say not to do it, if they love it, use it to how they wish! That’s the ultimate tip, and if you follow that, your clients will love the space you designed for them!
Do you love Home Staging or Design. Have you been dreaming about doing this for a career, maybe starting your own business? Live the life You Have Always Dreamed of, with a creative and lucrative career in Home Staging and/or Interior Design…Call today for more information…